It really is the small things in life. Sometimes we spend so much time chasing big dreams (which you should keep doing, of course) or focusing on all the negativity in our lives, that we don’t slow down to appreciate the small things. Below are 5 small things that put a smile on my face. I encourage you to take a few minutes after reading my list to think about small things that make you happy.
- Coming home to a happy dog. No matter how stressful and busy my day was, seeing my baby boy trotting towards me with his tail wagging and his ears back is the best feeling. Even if it’s for a few seconds, it energizes me.
- Sleeping in freshly washed sheets. I swear my sleep for the next week after washing my sheets is amazing. I’m not sure if it’s the thought of being in clean sheets or the fresh scent of fabric softener and detergent, but it is oh so satisfying.
- When a jam comes on the radio, especially when it’s a throwback that you know all the words to. Even better is when there is someone in the car with you that is just as pumped as you are. That mini carpool karaoke session moment is damn awesome.
- When you find a funny meme or video especially when you can relate to it. I recently started following World Star Hip Hop (slightly embarrassing), and I constantly find myself chuckling. A lot of the times, these memes and videos make me think, “Hey, I’m not the only one that thinks this or does this.”
- When someone texts you to just check in. This is such a thoughtful gesture, and every time a friend does this, I remind myself about how grateful I am to have amazing friends. It could be just a “you good?” or a “how have you been?” I have friends I have known for 10+ years that live far away, and whether they live on the East Coast or overseas, we have managed to stay in touch because of this simple gesture.